Sunday, February 07, 2016

Weekend Escape

Sometimes I just need to disappear for a couple of days. Having short little weekends away help me to get through my long work weeks. This weekend I escaped to Wisconsin.

I took a vacation day on Friday (sort of). By 12:30pm I was on the road and heading east. Since I hadn't eaten lunch it only seemed logical that I would stop in my most favorite small town cafe in all of the Midwest - you know it, the Norske Nook!

I had my usual, a pork sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy. This always brings back fond memories of road trips that I used to take as a child with my Auntie Theresa.

But you know best what the Norske Nook is well known for...their pie! I took a piece with me for later.

I arrived at my destination, Madison, Wi, and settled into my hotel room for the night. I always get a kick out of the signs in the elevators at Hampton Inns.

This one is probably my favorite though...

Why am I here? Lynn's of Madison (needlework store) hosted a class with Lori Markovic of La D Da. We finished the Tender Heart Stitcher's Roll. Here's a snap of my finishing in progress.

Lori is delightful. She spent time with each stitcher making sure they knew what to do.

I enjoyed the day immensely. Connected with quite a few stitchers that I have not seen for awhile.

After class, many of us went back to Lynn's for some stash enhancing.

They had a lovely display of La D Da models.

I could have driven home last night but the thought of driving after dark didn't appeal to me much, so I stayed one more night. Enjoyed another quiet evening in the hotel room. The lighting wasn't great, but I figured out that if I sat at the desk, I could watch TV through the mirror! Hey, we do whatever works, right?

It was a fun weekend. Here are a couple snaps of my finished stitcher's roll...

Thanks for stopping by. Hope your weekend was just as special.

 

10 comments:

Ann said...

Sounds like an absolutely perfect week-end to me!

Barb said...

Your stitching roll is lovely and what a fun week-end! Thanks for sharing with us.

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Sounds like a great time! I love the class project by Lori.

Sherry said...

I love the piece you did in class and all of those La D Da pieces are enough to make anyone start drooling!

Khristine Doiron said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! Your stitchers roll is beautiful!

marly said...

I LOVE that design on the stitcher's roll. Glad you had a few days of fun.

Marilyn said...

Looks like a great project.
Funny thing, I was at Lynn's on Saturday about 11:00. :)
Love that store!
Marilyn

Von said...

That was a weekend well spent, Cathy!!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Oh Cathy, what a wonderful weekend. Lori is just a delightful teacher. Looks like a great time was had by all.

Marie said...

I want to live your life, Cathy! :-D

Gorgeous stitcher's roll…is that a pattern offered in LNS or a class pattern only?

My DIL is from WI, East of Madison in Whitefish Bay. She lives in NYC so I don't have a reason to go to WI but if by chance I make it back there I want to go to Lynn's…it looks fabulous.