Saturday, November 05, 2011

Buying Books

It's all Robert's fault really...I have to blame someone. Several weeks ago I was reading Robert's post regarding his finished Mary Allen sampler. (It's gorgeous, you should really have a look at it!) I kept paging down through his blog and came across a finish for this sampler: Dorothy Preston - and I thought, "I just might have to take a look at that sampler more closely!" So, I went searching for Sampler & Antique Needlework Volume 1 and I found it.



I enjoyed the book so much that I decided to see if there was a Volume 2 and there was! Volume 2 is just as lovely as Volume 1. I haven't searched for any subsequent volumes...does anyone know, are there more?



Then, one day recently I happened to be searching on eBay for my usually things like Gingher scissors and Mary Garry patterns and I entered a search for this Hardanger book by Jill Carter. My friend Judy has been looking for this for some time. Another friend has a copy and we all like the book very much. Believe it or not, I happened across the book and it was "for purchase" not "for bidding". I snatched it up right away! (I will need to keep looking for a copy for my friend Judy...)



So then, while in Virginia Beach, Ann R (of R&R) shared that Pat R (of R&R) had published a book on American samplers. Some of the stories she told us were quite interesting, so when I got home I went on a search for this book and picked up a copy quite reasonably! I'm enjoying the stories in it very much!



I really don't have time for stitching because I am too busy reading all of these needlework books!

Today, my best friend from high school and I were meeting for lunch to celebrate her birthday which was in October. We stopped at a craft boutique before lunch. I saw this small chest of drawers and commented how much I liked it and how I thought it might work well for storing floss...she bought it for me! Early birthday/Christmas present...I'm now trying to figure out where I would like to place it in my stitching room...and do I want to store floss in it or should I put my scissors collection in it? Decisions, decisions....



Hope you are having a great weekend!

11 comments:

Mindi said...

Those look like some fantastic books! I love books, both to read, to look at, and to see sitting on the shelf in their glorious colorful jackets. I used to buy regional cookbooks as a souvenir for places I'd travel to.

However, I'm a bit torn now. I've fallen for digital books, and how they totally un-clutter your life. But what do I do with my hundreds of cookbooks, not to mention my extensive fiction library?

Diana said...

Love the chest of drawers! I have the sampler books and they are really great. You were lucky to find them on ebay.

Faye said...

Wow~~ All those books are fantastic but that chest is out of this world~~~ What a find! I definitely would be storing my floss collection in it.....

Margaret said...

Wow! Great books, and I love that chest of drawers! What a lovely present!

Hazel said...

They look like great books Cathy. I love books like that. X

Bekca said...

The chest of drawers is a real find, the perfect place to store all your stitching goodies. You must be so pleased to have found so many great books - enjoy! Best wishes to you.

Carol said...

There were only 2 volumes published of Sampler & Antique Needlework. These took the place of the Magazine - Sampler & Antique Needlework Quarterly many years ago. I thought they were discontinuing the magazine, and were doing the books, but then they went back to the magazines and have been doing them since.

The books are true treasures with many, many beautiful projects in them.

Brigitte said...

Those books are certainly fantastic. Particularly the collections of the Sampler & Antique Needlework magazines. Enjoy them.

samplerlover said...

Love your chest of draws. They are really lovely.

I have both of the sampler books and they have some wonderful projects in them. I have done a few of the projects in them including Dorothy Preston. It is a really lovely sampler.

Siobhán said...

I love that chest of drawers! How fun!!

Love all the books--you hit the ebay jackpot!

Patti-Rocky Mtn Stitcher said...

Love it. I remember the day I got mine. Best gift ever eh?