Sunday, October 15, 2006

Bookmarks for Literacy

If you've been following my blog since it's inception, you will remember that in October and November each year I stitch bookmarks. Our local EGA Chapter, St. Paul Needleworkers, collects them and donates them to one of the adult literacy programs in our area. Our group meets tomorrow night. I have these three hardanger bookmarks to contribute. I hope to get a few more stitched before next month's meeting!



I usually limit my posts to just stitching updates, but today I want to show you a picture of my famous "green jello". I'm famous for always bringing it to family gatherings. My family likes to give me a hard time about it, but in reality they are glad when I bring the green jello - they know that it is the only thing I can make and not screw it up! (I'm not known for my culinary skills; better stick with stitching. LOL!)



(BTW - that's my grandmother's hand beater in the background - I don't use it; it just happens to be sitting on my cupboard!)

Green Jello

2 small boxes of Lime jello
1 cup boiling hot water

Dissolve jello in boling hot water, let it cool just a little bit.

Add
-one 8oz carton of Creamy Cool Whip
-one small can of crushed pineapple
-one small carton of cottage cheese
-one jar of maraschino cherries sliced in half

Mix together well. It sets up quickly and voila, we have jello!

11 comments:

BeckySC said...

OOOH Cathy, those are just lovely :) Congrats and what a wonderful cause!

I make a green jello dessert to but it's different from yours. I take it each Thanksgiving to my Grandmother's...if I don't I get scolded :) LOL!

Katrina said...

Your bookmarks are beautifully stitched as always Cathy. Love the framed piece and the stand up too :)

Von said...

It's wonderful to see more bookmarks Cathy. This year's batch is gorgeous!

Your jello salad looks very similar to a recipe my mom frequently made - good memories. :D

Unknown said...

Those bookmarks are beautiful! What chart is it?

Kitty Couture said...

Your bookmarks are gorgeous!! I'm sure the recipients will love them.

Anne S said...

Oh wow, those bookmarks are exquisite - great job! :D

Dawn B. said...

Very nice bookmarks

mainely stitching said...

Wow, your bookmarks are beautiful! I hope it's okay that mine are not going to be nearly as artistic as yours!

Your green jello looks like something my kids would LOVE. :)

Anonymous said...

Cathy, your parcel arrived today. Thank you!!! It's an amazing gift - beautifully stitched and wonderfully finished as a box - I love it.
I've posted this on the SBEBB and will update my blog tonight after work.

I should also add, love the bookmarks!!

CindyMae said...

The bookmarks are just beautiful and the green jello looks and sounds yummy!!!

Lelia said...

Lovely bookmarks. You have fantastic hardanger skills! Wow.

The jello looks nice [in the picture], I'll have to jot it down & give it a try.

With an extension to January -- maybe I'll send you one, too. I think I have a Prairie Schooler [freebie] already stitchec - just needs the nun edge.

Now, finding it -- another matter.